Laser in Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is a popular refractive surgery technique used to correct vision in people who have myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism (a condition in which the front surface of the cornea of the eye is not spherical).
During LASIK surgery in Virgnia Beach, your surgeon uses a laser to create a thin flap in the cornea. The flap is then lifted and a process called photoablation, which uses an excimer laser, removes microscopic amounts of the internal corneal tissue that changes the curvature of the cornea. After the cornea is reshaped so that it can properly focus light into the eye and onto the retina, the corneal flap is put back in place and the surgery is complete.
The surgery is generally performed while the patient is under a local anesthesia and usually takes about 15 minutes to complete.
Benefits of LASIK
LASIK has many benefits, including:
- It has a high success rate. About 95% of patients are satisfied with the outcome of LASIK.
- LASIK surgery is associated with very little pain.
- Vision is corrected nearly immediately or by the next day after LASIK.
- Recovery is quick. LASIK requires no bandages or stitches.
- Adjustments can be made years after LASIK to correct vision even further.
- After having LASIK, most patients no longer need corrective eyewear (glasses, contacts, etc.).
- Changes that are made to the cornea cannot be reversed after LASIK.
- LASIK is generally not covered by insurance plans so is paid for by the patient.
- Rarely, complications related to LASIK can cause a reduction in the best vision achievable with or without glasses. Potential side effects include dry eyes, halos and glare.
To learn more about Laser in-Situ Keratomileusis or to schedule a LASIK consultation with one of our doctors, contact Tidewater Eye Centers at 757-483-0400 or tidewatereye.com.