Dr. Len Rappaport
Dr. Rappaport joined Tidewater Eye Centers in 1999, as a Glaucoma Specialist, after being in private practice for 5 years with Southeastern Eye Center in North Carolina. He is subspecialty trained in the treatment of glaucoma, including the use of lasers, drainage devices and antimetabolites in surgery. Dr. Rappaport lectures at state meetings as well as internationally on the new advancements in the treatment of glaucoma. He is currently on staff at Maryview Medical Center and Harbourview Medical Center. Dr. Rappaport also has extensive experience in the latest technologies for small incision, no stitch cataract surgery, using Toric and Multifocal intraocular lenses. He also is experienced in performing laser vision correction surgeries.
Accolades and Awards:
- Top Doctors Award, Coastal Living Magazine
- Voted a Top Ophthalmologist 2019/2020 in Virginia Beach by Virginia Magazine
- Voted Best Ophthalmologist 2019 by Resident’s Choice Award and Commonwealth Senior Living for Hampton Roads
- Selected for “Top Doctor” Candidate to represent Portsmouth in the Global Directory of Who’s Who Online for 2019.
- Named one of America’s Top Ophthalmologist by Consumer’s Research Council of America
- Named “Top Doctor” in Ophthalmology in 2015 by Coastal Living Magazine
- Co-authored/published papers on Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
- Lectures to other ophthalmologist/optometrists concerning both medical and surgical treatment of Glaucoma
- Has the most experience with Xen 45 Glaucoma Filtration Surgery in Tidewater
- Performed the first MP3 Transcleral Cyclophotocoagulation procedure in the United States once approved by the FDA
- Performed the first Cypass procedure in Virginia
- Performed the first Hydrus procedure in Virginia
Dr. Rappaport is board certified in Ophthalmology and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He received his medical degree from the George Washington School of Medicine. After an internship at Moutefiore Medical Center in New York, he completed his Ophthalmology residency at the Mason Institute of Ophthalmology at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He then completed a 1year fellowship in glaucoma at Glaucoma Associates of New York at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Dr. Rappaport has completed a mission trip to Honduras where he performed cataract surgery and glaucoma procedures. He taught the local ophthalmologist some of the finer points of intraocular surgery. He is part of Eye Care America where he offers his services for indigent patients in need of subspecialty care as part of the referral program through the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Rappaport resides in Virginia Beach and is the proud father of two daughters. In his spare time, Dr. Rappaport enjoys visiting his daughters as well as skiing, boating and tennis.